Re: Tom Kunich is a ass

Message has been deleted

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 26, 2005, 10:50:36 PM12/26/05
Don who? writes:

> By now we expect everyone to notice the anonymous postings from Tom
> Kunich. His address is in SAN LEANDRO CA 94578 , and he lives with
> his mother and he is not the owner of the he lives in.

Oh, you mean this guy:

Thomas H Kunich, Born: Oct 1944
3539 Monterey Blvd
San Leandro CA94578
510) 351-3807

http://tinyurl.com/8rwo2

I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other contributors
who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping while offering no
useful information. A few names come to mind.

Jobst Brandt

Nuck 'n Futz

Dec 26, 2005, 11:28:20 PM12/26/05
jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:
> Don who? writes:
>
>> By now we expect everyone to notice the anonymous postings from Tom
>> Kunich. His address is in SAN LEANDRO CA 94578 , and he lives with
>> his mother and he is not the owner of the he lives in.
>
> Oh, you mean this guy:
>
> Thomas H Kunich, Born: Oct 1944

{snip disclosed personal information}

> I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other contributors
> who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping while offering no
> useful information. A few names come to mind.

What a god-damned hypocrite you are, Brandt. Always sniping at people who
post anonymously, yet this is what you do to someone who uses his or her own
name?!?

You're a grade-a asshole.

N&F

PS: I have no immediate recollection of Kunich, though the name's familiar.
DOESN'T MATTER WHO IT IS -- it's totally bush-league to publish his address
and phone number. What's next -- contacting his employer?!? What a jerk...

Tim McNamara

Dec 26, 2005, 11:32:18 PM12/26/05
"Don" <dondi...@yahoo.com> writes:

> By now we expect everyone to notice the anonymous postings from Tom
> Kunich.

I actually don't notice anonymous postings from Tom Kunich. I don't
need my attention drawn to them, either. IMHO his stuff is not
something I want to read.

Many people seem to like to play Tom's game and give him attention and
reinforcement for his posts. The simple solution is to learn how to
use a killfile and to put Tom and all his alter egos into it. If you
need to spend all this energy on the guy, it's you who need to get a
clue and possibly a life as well. Ignore him, he'll go away. And fer
pete's sake stop spamming all the rec.bikes newsgroups with this crap!

Johnny Sunset

Dec 27, 2005, 12:05:00 AM12/27/05
Jobst Brandt <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other contributors
> who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping while offering no
> useful information. A few names come to mind.

Nobody that posts under the name of a whiskey brand and refuses to use
capital letters, of course?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 27, 2005, 12:32:04 AM12/27/05
A shy person writes:

>>> By now we expect everyone to notice the anonymous postings from
>>> Tom Kunich. His address is in SAN LEANDRO CA 94578 , and he lives
>>> with his mother and he is not the owner of the he lives in.

>> Oh, you mean this guy:

>> Thomas H Kunich, Born: Oct 1944

> {snip disclosed personal information}

aka. public information.

OH? This information is readily available from the web requiring no
special powers or authority. Just type the name and that's what you
get. I listed no more than what is open to anyone with WWW access.
It's quicker than a telephone book.

>> I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other
>> contributors who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping
>> while offering no useful information. A few names come to mind.

> What a god-damned hypocrite you are, Brandt. Always sniping at
> people who post anonymously, yet this is what you do to someone who
> uses his or her own name?!?

So why do you hide behind a childish dyslexic alias?

> You're a grade-a asshole.

I suspect you hide because you are so clumsy with civil discourse.
You might try to express yourself in socially acceptable style but
then I don't know from what social stratum you come although you try
to make that obvious by your choice of language.

> PS: I have no immediate recollection of Kunich, though the name's
> familiar. DOESN'T MATTER WHO IT IS -- it's totally bush-league to
> publish his address and phone number. What's next -- contacting his
> employer?!? What a jerk...

Kunich bore the flame of flaming writers on just about any subject
with no useful contribution to the thread except attempting to
belittle the previous writer. Since that has become the style of the
day for an increasing number of respondents (like you) I guess Kunich
packed up and left, his act having been usurped.

Jobst Brandt

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 27, 2005, 12:50:47 AM12/27/05
Johnny Sunset writes:

>> ... I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other
>> contributors who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping
>> while offering no useful information. A few names come to mind.

Too bad the header got changed from ... a ass... because that was a
noted expression from Charles Dickens:

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1002.html

He chose it because it put special emphasis on the phrase as the OP
probably did. By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
discussion arose.

> Nobody that posts under the name of a whiskey brand and refuses to
> use capital letters, of course?

I once suspected that as well but don't believe that Kunich was nearly
as acrid in his responses. But that was in olden times when more
crass four letter words were not used on this forum. Besides, he
didn't seem to be at war with his high school English teacher,
eschewing the shit key, and reasonable spelling and punctuation.

Mr. alcohol claims to live in SF and ride a bicycle to work, which
wouldn't do from San Leandro, without taking the bicycle to SF on
BART, our rapid transit system.

Jobst Brandt

A Muzi

Dec 27, 2005, 12:56:50 AM12/27/05

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:
>>>Oh, you mean this guy:

-snip-

Who? aka J Sunset:

>>What a god-damned hypocrite you are, Brandt. Always sniping at
>>people who post anonymously, yet this is what you do to someone who
>>uses his or her own name?!?

>>You're a grade-a asshole.

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:
> Kunich bore the flame of flaming writers on just about any subject
> with no useful contribution to the thread except attempting to
> belittle the previous writer. Since that has become the style of the
> day for an increasing number of respondents (like you) I guess Kunich
> packed up and left, his act having been usurped.

Mr Kunich is of the opinion that the present kerfuffle (I
missed whatever it was) was written by one Roger Bratton
using Mr Kunich's name as an alias.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Tom Kunich

Dec 27, 2005, 1:05:39 AM12/27/05
<jobst....@stanfordalumni.org> wrote in message

> Kunich bore the flame of flaming writers on just about any subject
> with no useful contribution to the thread except attempting to
> belittle the previous writer. Since that has become the style of the
> day for an increasing number of respondents (like you) I guess Kunich
> packed up and left, his act having been usurped.

Tell me Jobst, but do you have even a clue what you're talking about? Or are
you simply a pal of Roger's who's been waging internet war against people
for years? The man is certifiably insane and you're playing his game as if
you actually knew what you were talking about.

Or are you finally slipping over the edge into oblivion as well? Exactly
what would lead you to post a map? Were you feeling particularly clever
today?

Tom Kunich

Dec 27, 2005, 1:13:36 AM12/27/05
"Tim McNamara" <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote in message

Dear Tim, it would be really interesting if you could inform me what my
"alter egos" are. Why is it that you seem unaware of the various spoofs that
are out there? Roger is presently being investigated by the FBI for his
great work on the internet.

But thanks for your intellectual pursuit of the truth.

Nuck 'n Futz

Dec 27, 2005, 1:41:55 AM12/27/05
jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

>>> Oh, you mean this guy:
>
>>> Thomas H Kunich, Born: Oct 1944
>
>> {snip disclosed personal information}
>
> aka. public information.

So is your SSN, driver's license number and plate, spouse's and kids' names,
etc. Doesn't make it RIGHT to plaster 'em all over Usenet.

> OH? This information is readily available from the web requiring no
> special powers or authority. Just type the name and that's what you
> get. I listed no more than what is open to anyone with WWW access.
> It's quicker than a telephone book.
>
>>> I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other
>>> contributors who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping
>>> while offering no useful information. A few names come to mind.
>
>> What a god-damned hypocrite you are, Brandt. Always sniping at
>> people who post anonymously, yet this is what you do to someone who
>> uses his or her own name?!?
>
> So why do you hide behind a childish dyslexic alias?

Why do you care?

>> You're a grade-a asshole.
>
> I suspect you hide because you are so clumsy with civil discourse.
> You might try to express yourself in socially acceptable style but
> then I don't know from what social stratum you come although you try
> to make that obvious by your choice of language.

Or, I don't want self-righteous dickheads like you harassing me, my family
or my employer.

>> PS: I have no immediate recollection of Kunich, though the name's
>> familiar. DOESN'T MATTER WHO IT IS -- it's totally bush-league to
>> publish his address and phone number. What's next -- contacting his
>> employer?!? What a jerk...
>
> Kunich bore the flame of flaming writers on just about any subject
> with no useful contribution to the thread except attempting to
> belittle the previous writer. Since that has become the style of the
> day for an increasing number of respondents (like you) I guess Kunich
> packed up and left, his act having been usurped.

ISTR some sock-puppet/impersonation charges. Regardless, it's easy to just
IGNORE THE CHAFF instead of taking it to the low level you did by
"publishing" someone's personal information for every Usenet Kook out there.

Everyone knows you're a haughty prick; you needn't keep confirming it.

N&F

Johnny Sunset

Dec 27, 2005, 1:43:20 AM12/27/05

A Muzi wrote:

> -snip-
>
> Who? aka J Sunset:

I am certainly not "Nuck 'n Futz", whoever he/she may be.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (Real name and location)

A Muzi

Dec 27, 2005, 3:16:58 AM12/27/05
> I am certainly not "Nuck 'n Futz", whoever he/she may be.

Whoops! I'm sorry. Unintentional.

Tim McNamara

Dec 27, 2005, 7:51:37 AM12/27/05
"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> writes:

As far as I can tell, from reading your posts for over 10 years, is
that you (1) routinely post malarkey and (2) have a tendency to be
paranoid as all get-out. Your bitterness about your personal life
situation spills over into completely unrelated stuff, such as the
rec.bikes newsgroups. Hence you have been residing in my killfiles
for years and only turn up in my summary buffer when you change ISPs.

I don't care about your alter egos, nor do I care about your most
recent tiff with whomever. I do think it over the top for people to
post your personal information to Usenet, but on the other hand your
consistent antagonistic stance towards everyone else earns you that
sort of vituperation. In short, if you want people to treat you
better, treat them better and stop acting like a net.kook. You can't
credibly act like an asshole and then claim to be a victim- no one
will take it seriously.

D'ohBoy

Dec 27, 2005, 8:44:14 AM12/27/05
Quoth N&F:

> ...it's totally bush-league to publish his address and phone number...

"Bush-league", N&F??? How Freudian of you ;-)

D'ohBoy

P.S.: This thread is reason #1789 I and many others post anonymously.

Kenny

Dec 27, 2005, 9:12:47 AM12/27/05
After reading this thread maybe we should create a sub-group called,
"Rec.Bicycles.Tech~TwilightZone."

postan...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2005, 11:04:39 AM12/27/05
Jobst's churlish, scolding, holier-than-thou attitude has always been
tolerable because of seemingly endless font of bike related knowledge
that came with it. I always wrote off the picking on people who posted
anonymously as a petty obsession. Whatever Kunich has done, whether or
not his personal information is public domain, this strikes me as
entirely inappropriate. From now on, I post anonymously.

Jobst Brandt

Dec 27, 2005, 11:11:33 AM12/27/05

NOT ME!!!

J <eg> B

Message has been deleted

RonSonic

Dec 27, 2005, 11:55:50 AM12/27/05
On 27 Dec 2005 05:32:04 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

>>> Oh, you mean this guy:
>
>>> Thomas H Kunich, Born: Oct 1944
>
>> {snip disclosed personal information}
>
>aka. public information.
>
>OH? This information is readily available from the web requiring no
>special powers or authority. Just type the name and that's what you
>get. I listed no more than what is open to anyone with WWW access.
>It's quicker than a telephone book.

You malignant, hypocritical, self righteous turd.

IF this information is a easy and available as your rationalization would have
it, then there was no point in posting it.

>>> I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other
>>> contributors who are equally rude and obnoxious, always carping
>>> while offering no useful information. A few names come to mind.
>
>> What a god-damned hypocrite you are, Brandt. Always sniping at
>> people who post anonymously, yet this is what you do to someone who
>> uses his or her own name?!?
>
>So why do you hide behind a childish dyslexic alias?

Perhaps to slow down web-creeps like yourself. It's enough, isn't it.

>> You're a grade-a asshole.
>
>I suspect you hide because you are so clumsy with civil discourse.
>You might try to express yourself in socially acceptable style but
>then I don't know from what social stratum you come although you try
>to make that obvious by your choice of language.
>
>> PS: I have no immediate recollection of Kunich, though the name's
>> familiar. DOESN'T MATTER WHO IT IS -- it's totally bush-league to
>> publish his address and phone number. What's next -- contacting his
>> employer?!? What a jerk...
>
>Kunich bore the flame of flaming writers on just about any subject
>with no useful contribution to the thread except attempting to
>belittle the previous writer. Since that has become the style of the
>day for an increasing number of respondents (like you) I guess Kunich
>packed up and left, his act having been usurped.

Kunich is an abrasive, opinionated ass. Pretty much like the rest of us here.
And that "us" includes you. You, of all people, should have an interest in
keeping the debate civil and within bounds.

Ron

gol...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2005, 12:46:28 PM12/27/05
I don't know what started this as I haven't read this newgroup for a
while, but if "Tom Kunich" is causing trouble, it's not the real guy.
I've often had exchanges with Tom Kunich and he would teach most others
on this newsgroup how to behave.

Message has been deleted

Ozark Bicycle

Dec 27, 2005, 3:31:34 PM12/27/05

I am really surprised that you did this, Mr. Brandt. And cross-posted
to _five_ usenet groups, to boot. IMO, there are alot of nutcases out
there, and posting someone else's phone number and address is just
asking for harassment. And a map!!What is the point, if not to
_attract_ harassment?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Tom Kunich

Dec 27, 2005, 7:57:37 PM12/27/05
"Jobst Brandt" <an...@anon.com> wrote in message

Yeah, apparently you like a newgroup like this. Well, it's all yours.

Sorni

Dec 27, 2005, 8:00:57 PM12/27/05

That (very funny) post was by a certain Mr. Futz, not His High & Mightiness.

Bill "the fact that is WAS funny was the first clue" S.

Tom Kunich

Dec 27, 2005, 8:18:49 PM12/27/05
"Tim McNamara" <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote in message

You posted that I used alter egos and now you post that my personal life
spills over into my postings. Yet somehow you don't seem to have any
citations. Is this because it is all in your imagination or because you
don't agree with my postings and feel perfectly safe in not actually posting
something about the postings you don't agree with but easily post lies here
on a subject so broad that you feel that you can get away with it? Most of
us would consider that a form of cowardice. I hadn't realized that about you
but now will keep that in mind whenever I read another of your postings.

> I don't care about your alter egos, nor do I care about your most
> recent tiff with whomever.

But you are perfectly willing to imply that I somehow post under different
names despite the fact that I've been on the group with my true name for
over a decade. I suppose stabbing a man in the back with lies comes
naturally to you.

> I do think it over the top for people to post your personal information
> to Usenet,

But fair game to print vicious lies about. Yeah, got you.

> but on the other hand your consistent antagonistic stance
> towards everyone else earns you that sort of vituperation.

In short, if you want people to treat you
> better, treat them better and stop acting like a net.kook. You can't
> credibly act like an asshole and then claim to be a victim- no one
> will take it seriously.

If there's one thing that I've continously done since the first of the news
groups it's to put people like you in your place. I suppose that's the real
source of your irritation.

Such as:

*************************

> Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> writes:

>> nob...@nospam.pacbell.net (Bill Z.) writes:

>> > I think anyone can go back to the archives and look at your
>> > behavior, where you post continual personal attacks against
>> > anyone who disagrees with you, lying though your teeth when it
>> > suits you. As far as I'm concerned, you have no credibility.

>> Looks sort of like pot-kettle-black there, Bill.

> Nope. I only told them off after repeated abuse that continued for
> over a month (or was it several months.) Eventually, I simply got
> fed up with these bozos. And they were the only ones lying, which
> they did repeatedly.

You seem very prone to accusing others that they are lying, Bill, as
well as insisting you are right on all topics.

*************************

dot_clear.gif

to...@juno.com

Dec 27, 2005, 8:41:39 PM12/27/05
Please move all this silly stuff over to rec.audio.marketplace where it
belongs with all the worthless prattle that lies there.

Who cares if he's an ass! Asses have to live, too!

Tom
Portland, or.

Tom Kunich

Dec 27, 2005, 8:54:51 PM12/27/05
<gol...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks, and it is becoming ever more clear that no one should post here
using their real name. The fact is that the group was losing its usefulness
because of the high noise to signal ratio. But then with the advent of Roger
Bratton followed most shockingly by Jobst Brandt who until this time I
considered to be one of the high points of the groups (save a certainly
pig-headishness which I assigned to aging engineerism) I suppose that there
is no longer any point in using the newsgroups since they seem to be
inhabited by lunatics who have memory spans of the last three days.

Apparently the only thing that Jobst can remember about me is that I
disagreed with his assessment of Campy Delta brakes. A hundred to one he
doesn't remember riding up Kings Mountain Rd with me. Or rather riding away
from me in his 46-19 or whatever rediculous gear he was pushing. (Psst -
Jobst - Delta brakes are still selling like hot cakes and often for a great
deal more than they cost new. Now I agreed that they were inferior designs
but perhaps you'll recall that argument as going somewhat along the lines
of - "They aren't the best but they aren't murderous as you claim.")

McNamara is a little easier to understand. He can't stand it if someone
criticizes bicycle helmets. After that it's pure hatred.

Now I admit that some people don't understand my humor. You have to put part
of that with growing up in the Oakland "ghetto" where when someone did good
you punched him.

For instance:

Ed Wagner
Apr 29 2001, 4:04 pm show options

We had the Corporate Challenge TT here in Tulsa today. ~ I did a personal
best for this course at 14:07 unofficially.

Tom Kunich
May 1 2001, 7:03 am show options
Good going fatso.

I'm sure that our good Doctor would understand that considering where he
grew up himself.

That started one of rbr's famous snits based on the fact that (apparently)
Ed was sensitive about his weight. (Did it occur to any of those psychotic
idiots that in a written format I had no idea whether Ed was fat, old or
perhaps young strong and handsome? And I suppose I should have expected that
the one that started the real snit about it was a fat guy.)

What remains curious is that people will read a 300 word posting with
scientific data, complete citations, graphs, numerations and then claim that
I'm insulting them. That DOES seem to fall into the catagory of "truth
hurts".

So is this what's to become of the internet news groups? Jobst printing a
map to my house? McNamara inventing new insults that he believes I ought to
have done? Or perhaps everyone enjoying and egging on an internet weirdo
that is just short (if short at all) from being in one of those Holloween
movies?

Johnny Sunset

Dec 27, 2005, 9:04:27 PM12/27/05

Jobst Brandt <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> ....By the way, changing the title loses the thread and

> starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
> discussion arose....

Jobst,

I will remind you of this thread:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/browse_frm/thread/7fe496e4d9d34ffd/eafc5dd1ec08ae24?q=aol+crank&rnum=1#eafc5dd1ec08ae24>.
Note who changed the thread title.

However, I thought changing OL (Octalink) to AOL was funny, which is
why I remembered the thread.

--
Tom Sherman - (Former rec.bicycles.tech regular)

Tim McNamara

Dec 27, 2005, 9:29:45 PM12/27/05
"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> writes:

> "Tim McNamara" <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote in message
>> "Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> writes:
>>
>>> Dear Tim, it would be really interesting if you could inform me
>>> what my "alter egos" are. Why is it that you seem unaware of the
>>> various spoofs that are out there? Roger is presently being
>>> investigated by the FBI for his great work on the internet.
>>>
>>> But thanks for your intellectual pursuit of the truth.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, from reading your posts for over 10 years, is
>> that you (1) routinely post malarkey and (2) have a tendency to be
>> paranoid as all get-out. Your bitterness about your personal life
>> situation spills over into completely unrelated stuff, such as the
>> rec.bikes newsgroups. Hence you have been residing in my killfiles
>> for years and only turn up in my summary buffer when you change
>> ISPs.
>
> You posted that I used alter egos and now you post that my personal
> life spills over into my postings. Yet somehow you don't seem to
> have any citations.

Read the thread again, Tom, I didn't say that you *had* posted under

alter egos. You are misinterpreting. In fact I said:

> [...]

So as you see, you seem to be letting paranoia run away with you. As
far as your personal life, it was quite obvious that back at the time
of your divorce- which as I recall you publicly mentioned- your posts
became even more bitter and angry than they had been. I hadn't read
any of your posts for several years, and now that I do I see that you
haven't gotten any better with time. I am sorry to see that.

> Is this because it is all in your imagination or because you don't
> agree with my postings and feel perfectly safe in not actually
> posting something about the postings you don't agree with but easily
> post lies here on a subject so broad that you feel that you can get
> away with it? Most of us would consider that a form of cowardice. I
> hadn't realized that about you but now will keep that in mind
> whenever I read another of your postings.

Whatever, man. What a rambling mishmash of illogic you manage to spin.

>> I don't care about your alter egos, nor do I care about your most
>> recent tiff with whomever.
>
> But you are perfectly willing to imply that I somehow post under
> different names despite the fact that I've been on the group with my
> true name for over a decade. I suppose stabbing a man in the back
> with lies comes naturally to you.

Good grief, more histrionics and paranoia.

>> I do think it over the top for people to post your personal
>> information to Usenet,
>
> But fair game to print vicious lies about. Yeah, got you.

And you exaggerate dramatically. You could pump up a blimp the way
you inflate things.

>> but on the other hand your consistent antagonistic stance towards
>> everyone else earns you that sort of vituperation.
>
>> In short, if you want people to treat you better, treat them better
>> and stop acting like a net.kook. You can't credibly act like an
>> asshole and then claim to be a victim- no one will take it
>> seriously.
>
> If there's one thing that I've continously done since the first of
> the news groups it's to put people like you in your place. I suppose
> that's the real source of your irritation.

LOL. Tom, you have never ever "put me in my place" in the 10-12 years
I have been around these newsgroups. I don't really want to call you
a paranoid nutjob, since I've never met you, but you certainly act
like one on Usenet. You have, on the other hand, threatened me with
bodily harm a few times in the past.

> Such as:

<snip>

Good grief, Tom, get a grip- that weird snippet of postings just
further demonstrated your paranoid misinterpretations. It's too bad
that you seem to be so lacking in insight.

G.T.

Dec 27, 2005, 10:09:25 PM12/27/05

> "Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> writes:
> >
> > If there's one thing that I've continously done since the first of
> > the news groups it's to put people like you in your place. I suppose
> > that's the real source of your irritation.
>
> LOL. Tom, you have never ever "put me in my place" in the 10-12 years
> I have been around these newsgroups. I don't really want to call you
> a paranoid nutjob, since I've never met you, but you certainly act
> like one on Usenet. You have, on the other hand, threatened me with
> bodily harm a few times in the past.

Yeah, good old Tom with his delusions of grandeur.

> > Such as:
>
> <snip>
>
> Good grief, Tom, get a grip- that weird snippet of postings just
> further demonstrated your paranoid misinterpretations. It's too bad
> that you seem to be so lacking in insight.

Further testimony to his mental instability.

Greg

Message has been deleted

Michael Press

Dec 27, 2005, 10:42:02 PM12/27/05
In article <43b0d637$0$58052$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

> He chose it because it put special emphasis on the phrase as the OP
> probably did. By the way, changing the title loses the thread and

> starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
> discussion arose.

No, changing the subject header does not change alter the
threading. The References header and In-Reply-To header
maintain integrity. A correctly written news reader is
capable of displaying the list of articles according to
the References headers. Still the user must choose to
display the available articles according to threading if
that is what he wants, and not depend upon the article
Subject headers to organize the threading. Changing the
Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
preferable, in many cases.

--
Michael Press

Johnny Sunset

Dec 27, 2005, 11:00:22 PM12/27/05

The fake reply was a pretty good imitation of the "Sornson" style,
however. ;)

Johnny Sunset

Dec 27, 2005, 11:03:35 PM12/27/05

A Muzi, who passes off a Holstein as a Jersey, wrote:
> > I am certainly not "Nuck 'n Futz", whoever he/she may be.
> >
> Whoops! I'm sorry. Unintentional.

No offense taken.

Nuckin' Futz

Dec 28, 2005, 1:07:44 AM12/28/05
jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

> ... By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
> starts a new one

No it doesn't.

NF

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 28, 2005, 3:10:19 AM12/28/05

http://tinyurl.com/d4tky

> Note who changed the thread title.

I missed that entirely as my spell checker offered AOL for the
misspelled word OL. Apparently I changed that inadvertently. The new
version of my spell checker no longer offers AOL as the first
replacement choice for OL. I make enough typos that I usually spell
check the item which then starts at the top of the page.

> However, I thought changing OL (Octalink) to AOL was funny, which is
> why I remembered the thread.

As engrossed in the subject as I was, that passed me by entirely.
In any event, I thought the Dickens usage was chosen on purpose.

Jobst Brandt

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 28, 2005, 3:18:59 AM12/28/05
Michael Press writes:

>> He chose it because it put special emphasis on the phrase as the OP
>> probably did. By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
>> starts a new one, which is also none too good for tracking where
>> the discussion arose.

> No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.
> The References header and In-Reply-To header maintain integrity. A
> correctly written news reader is capable of displaying the list of
> articles according to the References headers. Still the user must
> choose to display the available articles according to threading if
> that is what he wants, and not depend upon the article Subject
> headers to organize the threading. Changing the Subject header in a
> sub-thread is permissible, even preferable, in many cases.

Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
that I use, keeps threads by title and lists them only once even if
cross posted to several subscribed newsgroups. Unless the item is
separately posted to each newsgroup, it will be flagged as "read" once
it has been accessed by the user.

In this case I came across the item under separate threads.

Jobst Brandt

dusto...@mac.com

Dec 28, 2005, 10:59:42 AM12/28/05

Tom Kunich wrote:

> Thanks, and it is becoming ever more clear that no one should post here
> using their real name.

Or you could change your name to your ng handle <g>.

Let's see: You post under your real name, but object to another ng'er
posting your dwelling's location. Does that mean you're afraid of a
certain narrow niche of kooks who can read newsgroups but can't for
some reason do a "white pages" search to find out where you live, so
they can come and get you for something you "said" on a newsgroup?
Hmmm... And, didn't you just recently threaten to send a couple of guys
to "talk to" (i.e., threaten or in fact assault) Mr. Chang when he
yanked your chain? (more on your customaryl behavior below)

>The fact is that the group was losing its usefulness

rhetorical assault noted

> because of the high noise to signal ratio. But then with the advent of Roger
> Bratton followed most shockingly by Jobst Brandt who until this time I

> considered to be one of the high points of the groups (snip)

Time to move through "Denial", and on to the next of the Five Stages of
Grief, TK ("Anger/Resentment"). So post for Jobst like he did for you
already, and let's get into the New Year even-steven. OK?

I never had any cops come to the door, but did you in fact telephone
the APD on my behalf that time you got so very upset with me when I
said in here that men who describe themselves as "straight" go to
public parks to achieve sexual release with other men? A quickie
google:
(tiny: http://tinyurl.com/dy64b), From a New York Times article, "A Sex
Stop on the Way Home", describing long-standing activities in a certain
urban public park:

"You would not believe the guys who come here," said a 50-year-old
Queens man who repairs boilers and is a regular. "You have judges,
doctors, lawyers, firemen, cops, sanitation workers. You have guys
coming here with totally normal lives, married with good jobs."

Now don't explode prematurely, TK. I never said that *you* go to the
parks for casual encounters. I have no way of knowing if you're even
tempted, so no comments or accusations from this chair; just a minor
reality check. Or two. --D-y

David Damerell

Dec 28, 2005, 12:49:27 PM12/28/05
Quoting <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org>:

>Michael Press writes:
>>No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.
>Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
>that I use, keeps threads by title

No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of articles
associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.

What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Second Leicesterday, December.

Michael Press

Dec 28, 2005, 2:23:45 PM12/28/05
In article <dfq*jq...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Quoting <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org>:
> >Michael Press writes:
> >>No, changing the subject header does not change alter the threading.
> >Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
> >that I use, keeps threads by title
>
> No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of articles
> associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.
>
> What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
> The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.

That is what Tin does by default, but Tin can sort by references.
In the man page under
GLOBAL OPTIONS MENU AND TINRC CONFIGURABLE VARIABLES
is a configuration variable for sorting articles
by the References header.

Thread articles by (thread_articles)
Defines which threading method to use. It's possible to set the
threading type on a per group basis by setting the group attribute
variable thread_arts to 0 - 4 in the file ${TIN_HOME-
DIR-"$HOME"}/.tin/attributes. (See also "GROUP ATTRIBUTES".) The
default is Both Subject and References. The choices are:

0 None, don't thread.

1 Subject, thread on ''Subject:'' only.

2 References, thread on ''References:'' only.

3 Both Subject and References, thread on ''References:'' then
''Subject:'' (default).

4 Multipart Subject, thread multipart articles on ''Subject:''.

5 Percentage Match, thread base upon a partial character match on
''Subject:''.

--
Michael Press

Werehatrack

Dec 28, 2005, 3:24:24 PM12/28/05
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 06:07:44 GMT, "Nuckin' Futz" <an...@anon.com>
wrote:

With the majority of the various newsreaders I have used, the behavior
reported by Jobst is what takes place. While there are newsreaders
which thread only by the references and which display the subject
breakages (or don't, in at least one particularly antimemorable case),
the most popular neewsreaders do not, in fact, do this. As a result,
on the whole, Jobst's observation is accurate; for most readers,
changing the subject breaks the thread.

Whether this is a Good Thing, a Bad Thing, a Stupid Misfeature, a
Matter Of Preference, an Inconsequential Piece Of Minutiae, or Grounds
For A Flame Jihad is, of course, something that has been debated
endlessly...but given the behavior of the most commonly used readers,
it appears that the thread-by-reference side can't claim a victory
just yet.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Tim McNamara

Dec 28, 2005, 7:55:39 PM12/28/05
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Quoting <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org>:
>>Michael Press writes:
>>>No, changing the subject header does not change alter the
>threading.
>>
>>Speak for your own news reader. Tin, the UNIX threaded news reader
>>that I use, keeps threads by title
>
> No; you are misusing the term "thread". A "thread" is a group of
> articles associated because of Message-IDs and References lines.
>
> What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true
> threading. The answer is to get a newsreader which functions
> correctly.

Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
well.

Someone

Dec 28, 2005, 8:33:05 PM12/28/05

Jobst Brandt <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> Tom Sherman writes:
>
> >> ....By the way, changing the title loses the thread and starts a
> >> new one, which is also none too good for tracking where the
> >> discussion arose....
>
> > I will remind you of this thread:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/d4tky
>
> > Note who changed the thread title.
>
> I missed that entirely as my spell checker offered AOL for the
> misspelled word OL. Apparently I changed that inadvertently. The new
> version of my spell checker no longer offers AOL as the first
> replacement choice for OL. I make enough typos that I usually spell
> check the item which then starts at the top of the page.

I am disappointed. I thought it was a clever bit of intentional humor.

Michael Press

Dec 28, 2005, 9:07:17 PM12/28/05
In article <5js5r15orjl7idqb1...@4ax.com>,
Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 06:07:44 GMT, "Nuckin' Futz" <an...@anon.com>
> wrote:
>
> >jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:
> >
> >> ... By the way, changing the title loses the thread and
> >> starts a new one
> >
> >No it doesn't.
>
> With the majority of the various newsreaders I have used, the behavior
> reported by Jobst is what takes place. While there are newsreaders
> which thread only by the references and which display the subject
> breakages (or don't, in at least one particularly antimemorable case),
> the most popular neewsreaders do not, in fact, do this. As a result,
> on the whole, Jobst's observation is accurate; for most readers,
> changing the subject breaks the thread.
>
> Whether this is a Good Thing, a Bad Thing, a Stupid Misfeature, a
> Matter Of Preference, an Inconsequential Piece Of Minutiae, or Grounds
> For A Flame Jihad is, of course, something that has been debated
> endlessly...but given the behavior of the most commonly used readers,
> it appears that the thread-by-reference side can't claim a victory
> just yet.

Most news readers _can_ thread using the References header
and the Message-ID header. Sometimes setting the
configuration is daunting. As I said elsewhere, Tin can be
so configured.

--
Michael Press

Tom Kunich

Dec 28, 2005, 9:50:11 PM12/28/05
<dusto...@mac.com> wrote in message

> Tom Kunich wrote:
>
>> Thanks, and it is becoming ever more clear that no one should post here
>> using their real name.
>
> Or you could change your name to your ng handle <g>.
>
> Let's see: You post under your real name, but object to another ng'er
> posting your dwelling's location. Does that mean you're afraid of a
> certain narrow niche of kooks who can read newsgroups but can't for
> some reason do a "white pages" search to find out where you live, so
> they can come and get you for something you "said" on a newsgroup?
> Hmmm... And, didn't you just recently threaten to send a couple of guys
> to "talk to" (i.e., threaten or in fact assault) Mr. Chang when he
> yanked your chain? (more on your customaryl behavior below)

Afraid? No, but that was a purposeful attempt on Jobst part to show mental
cases who cannot muster the intellect among their own group to find an
address where to find me. I could do the same for Jobst but then I'm not an
aging retired engineer whose life is slowly becoming forgotten by everyone
who ever counted to him.

And when I asked for Henry's address no one posted it on the group. But I
did receive it from several sources in short order. Henry knows well enough
that he has nothing to fear from me and that's why he always feels free to
make his dumbass comments. But you don't seem to find it in the least
bothersome for him to invent entire lies about me instead of anything with
truth. I know that doesn't seem to worry you but then you post as an
anonymous coward don't you?

>>The fact is that the group was losing its usefulness
>
> rhetorical assault noted

Assault on what? rbr? That's a joke. The group has become so stupid that
none of those who have anything of value to add ever post here anymore
anyhow. Perhaps you might want to look through Ken's faces page and see just
how many of those people still post here.

> I never had any cops come to the door, but did you in fact telephone
> the APD on my behalf that time you got so very upset with me when I
> said in here that men who describe themselves as "straight" go to
> public parks to achieve sexual release with other men?

What the hell are you talking about? Are you sure that you're not another
Roger ID?

dusto...@mac.com

Dec 28, 2005, 11:22:21 PM12/28/05

Tom Kunich wrote:

> And when I asked for Henry's address no one posted it on the group. But I
> did receive it from several sources in short order. Henry knows well enough
> that he has nothing to fear from me and that's why he always feels free to
> make his dumbass comments. But you don't seem to find it in the least
> bothersome for him to invent entire lies about me instead of anything with
> truth.

He was pulling your chain. Then you took over. Not in the theatre, of
course.

I know that doesn't seem to worry you but then you post as an
> anonymous coward don't you?

No, I changed my name to my ng handle. Glad to meet you. --D-y

onrae...@excite.com

Dec 29, 2005, 10:00:24 AM12/29/05

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:
> Don who? writes:
>
> > By now we expect everyone to notice the anonymous postings from Tom
> > Kunich. His address is in SAN LEANDRO CA 94578 , and he lives with
> > his mother and he is not the owner of the he lives in.
>
> Oh, you mean this guy:
>
> Thomas H Kunich, Born: Oct 1944
> 3539 Monterey Blvd
> San Leandro CA94578
> 510) 351-3807
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8rwo2

Thomas H Kunich is a free loader sec. 8 of the state of calif. ,
drunk bumb - the house in lives in is not his- without a job
sucking off the sate of calif. teat - every lying posting of
yours demonstrates that you know what a worthless
SHIT Thomas H Kunich you are and that, God forbid
you will be living in a cardboard in the city and this
will happen soon when i call the gov. of calif. an tell
him to cut you off of sec. 8, sic, sid and wf.

We all know by now tom you eat burgers but the burgers
you eat come out of your nose.

By all means continue your postings. Since you're so stupid,
sooner or later you're going to step over the line or there will
be some internet laws passed quietly that will end up putting
you in an asylum where you belong.

And since you've had multiple police reports filed against
Thomas H Kunich OF San Leandro CA94578 you, if so
much as a rock comes through my window you can expect
to be taken into the police station for questioning.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_frm/thread/88e7689881a8ee4a/bed061726371580c?q=%22house%22++%22tom%22&rnum=1#bed061726371580c
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/search?group=rec.bicycles.racing&q=tom&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

David Damerell

Dec 29, 2005, 1:34:42 PM12/29/05
Michael Press:

>David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.
>>The answer is to get a newsreader which functions correctly.
>That is what Tin does by default, but Tin can sort by references.

Aha! I'm glad that's fixed.

> 2 References, thread on ''References:'' only.
> 3 Both Subject and References, thread on ''References:'' then
> ''Subject:'' (default).

So I think option 2 is the right thing here. Presumably what #3 does is to
group by Subject but use References: correctly within sets of articles
with a common Subject line, like Google Groups.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Second Brieday, December.

David Damerell

Dec 29, 2005, 1:38:16 PM12/29/05
Quoting Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net>:
>the most popular neewsreaders do not, in fact, do this. As a result,
>on the whole, Jobst's observation is accurate; for most readers,
>changing the subject breaks the thread.

No. What a "thread" is is not dependent on the observer's newsreader; it's
a property of the articles. That is the only way we can use the term
meaningfully.

That many popular newsreaders are broken is unfortunate, but really, it's
up to them to fix it.

Tim McNamara

Dec 29, 2005, 1:56:25 PM12/29/05
onrae...@excite.com writes:

Yo, Johnny One-Note! We have read this drivel already. Time to get a
life and move on. At least Kunich writes more coherently than you.

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 29, 2005, 2:42:09 PM12/29/05
The following is what Tin thinks a thread is and Tin is a lot older
than most newsreaders used by most participants in thei forum. The
term "thread" as in T-I-N "Threaded Internet News"

http://www.tin.org/
http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/RZ/software/tin/faq.html#ToC02

Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:38:16 rec.bicycles.tech Thread 7 of 16
Lines 14 Re: Changing the title does WHAT? (... RespNo 3 of 3
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> at Linux Unlimited

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech

Jobst Brandt

Werehatrack

Dec 29, 2005, 4:01:53 PM12/29/05
On 29 Dec 2005 19:42:09 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

>Quoting Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net>:
>>the most popular neewsreaders do not, in fact, do this. As a result,
>>on the whole, Jobst's observation is accurate; for most readers,
>>changing the subject breaks the thread.
>
>No. What a "thread" is is not dependent on the observer's newsreader; it's
>a property of the articles. That is the only way we can use the term
>meaningfully.

Meaning, as the folks at Oxford will tell you, is defined by usage;
tin's usage is no longer the general one. Sorry, they've been
outvoted; the language has moved on. (And yes, this is often called
the "'n' could be a vowel if enough people believed it" argument, but
as statistically no one accepts that absurd contention, it's a straw
man of no value.)

>That many popular newsreaders are broken is unfortunate, but really, it's
>up to them to fix it.

One cannot fix what one has no control over, and perhaps more
importantly, many people *prefer* that the thread be defined by the
subject line. It is this fact that has determined the behavior of the
most widely used newsreaders, and probably accounts in part for the
fact that they *are* the most widely used newsreaders. No doubt this
is what has driven the interface design at Google as well.

Be happy that you have a reader that functions the way *you* want it
to; accept that yours does not work the way that *others* want
*theirs* to work, and consider the ramifications.

Michael Press

Dec 29, 2005, 4:31:29 PM12/29/05
In article <ucu*gT...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net>:
> >the most popular neewsreaders do not, in fact, do this. As a result,
> >on the whole, Jobst's observation is accurate; for most readers,
> >changing the subject breaks the thread.
>
> No. What a "thread" is is not dependent on the observer's newsreader; it's
> a property of the articles. That is the only way we can use the term
> meaningfully.
>
> That many popular newsreaders are broken is unfortunate, but really, it's
> up to them to fix it.

Do you know that most news readers cannot organize article
headers according to the References headers? Which ones? I
have used Netscape, Tin, and Newswatcher; these three can.

--
Michael Press

Helmut Springer

Dec 29, 2005, 4:54:57 PM12/29/05

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:
> http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/RZ/software/tin/faq.html#ToC02

That is outdated for years, unfortunately old documentation never
dies on the net...

Today's tin (and your tin/1.7.10-20050929 is a pretty recent one)
offer its user all choices about how to thread:

~/.tin/tinrc:
# Thread articles by ...
# Possible values are (the default is marked with *):
# 0 = nothing
# 1 = Subject
# 2 = References
# * 3 = Both (Subject and References)
# 4 = Multipart Subject
thread_articles=2

You can also use the menu under 'M' to change the setting within
tin.

Slightly off topic here though,

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

Jasper Janssen

Dec 29, 2005, 6:52:06 PM12/29/05
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:24:24 GMT, Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net>
wrote:

>With the majority of the various newsreaders I have used, the behavior
>reported by Jobst is what takes place. While there are newsreaders
>which thread only by the references and which display the subject
>breakages (or don't, in at least one particularly antimemorable case),
>the most popular neewsreaders do not, in fact, do this. As a result,
>on the whole, Jobst's observation is accurate; for most readers,
>changing the subject breaks the thread.

Mine actually has an option, I can thread by Reference or by SUbject, but
I greatly prefer to do so by Subject.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen

Dec 29, 2005, 7:05:30 PM12/29/05
On 27 Dec 2005 05:50:47 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

> Besides, he
>didn't seem to be at war with his high school English teacher,
>eschewing the shit key, and reasonable spelling and punctuation.
^^^^

I gotta say, Jobst, *that* was a good laugh. I needed that.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen

Dec 29, 2005, 7:06:43 PM12/29/05
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:42:02 GMT, Michael Press <ja...@abc.net> wrote:

>Changing the
>Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
>preferable, in many cases.

When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen

Dec 29, 2005, 7:07:28 PM12/29/05
On 28 Dec 2005 17:49:27 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell
<dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>What tin does is group-by-Subject, which is inferior to true threading.

That's a funny way of spelling 'Superior'.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen

Dec 29, 2005, 7:08:39 PM12/29/05
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:55:39 -0600, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net>
wrote:

>Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
>his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
>CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
>and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
>well.

Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can read your
mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses back all without
you even noticing?

Jasper

Michael Press

Dec 29, 2005, 7:23:44 PM12/29/05
In article <2su8r194aojged6p0...@4ax.com>,
Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org> wrote:

I have changed a Subject header only to correct a misspelling.

--
Michael Press

Tim McNamara

Dec 29, 2005, 7:39:05 PM12/29/05
Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net> writes:

> One cannot fix what one has no control over, and perhaps more
> importantly, many people *prefer* that the thread be defined by the
> subject line. It is this fact that has determined the behavior of
> the most widely used newsreaders, and probably accounts in part for
> the fact that they *are* the most widely used newsreaders. No doubt
> this is what has driven the interface design at Google as well.

I'd say it's more likely that these people simply don't conceive of
any other method of threading, even though many newsreaders can thread
based on subject, author or message-ID. The dumbing down of Usenet to
make it more accessible has resulted in mediocre newsreaders that
either can't thread flexibly or by default only thread by subject.
Nonetheless, more savvy users can use various strategies to facilitate
their Usenet experience.

Tim McNamara

Dec 29, 2005, 7:45:00 PM12/29/05
Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> writes:

> Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net> writes:
>
>> One cannot fix what one has no control over, and perhaps more
>> importantly, many people *prefer* that the thread be defined by the
>> subject line. It is this fact that has determined the behavior of
>> the most widely used newsreaders, and probably accounts in part for
>> the fact that they *are* the most widely used newsreaders. No doubt
>> this is what has driven the interface design at Google as well.
>
> I'd say it's more likely that these people simply don't conceive of
> any other method of threading, even though many newsreaders can thread
> based on subject, author or message-ID.

Sorry, not message-ID but references.

Werehatrack

Dec 29, 2005, 7:48:03 PM12/29/05
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:08:39 GMT, Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org>
wrote:

There are old Unix users who are still searching for ways to make
emacs do the work of existing tools that are widely available, well
understood, stable, and often without cost to the user. I believe
this may be due, in part, to a mania for one-true-tool-ism. It may
also have some of the "if all you have is a hammer..." flavor about
it, perhaps reinforced by "if your tool box will only hold a hammer,
it can be hard to see the point of having a screwdriver." as well.

OTOH, there are some elegant things that have been done with emacs
over the years, and if it works, where's the point in replacing it?

Werehatrack

Dec 29, 2005, 7:50:28 PM12/29/05

I have changed a message header to correct a misdistribution.

Werehatrack

Dec 29, 2005, 7:59:24 PM12/29/05

Know what you meant, I did.

I've used readers that worked both ways. On the whole, I prefer that
the thread break when the subject is changed, because it makes finding
the new thread easier if I'm looking for it later. As a result,
whether a newsreader *can* join the threads across subject breaks is
not particularly interesting to me...and if I need that capability for
something that's still on the server, I can break out WinVN and employ
the facility for the time it takes to find what I seek. On this
group, that's not often.

Unfortunately, on certain other groups which have messages that are
gated from non-Usenet feeds, the References line may not even be
present; there, no newsreader can make sense of the mess, since trying
to arrange them chronologically is making a false assumption.

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 29, 2005, 9:55:31 PM12/29/05
Jasper Janssen writes:

>> Besides, he didn't seem to be at war with his high school English
>> teacher, eschewing the shit key, and reasonable spelling and
>> punctuation. ^^^^

> I gotta say, Jobst, *that* was a good laugh. I needed that.

Well, it was Freudian slip but I like it.

Jobst Brandt

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 29, 2005, 10:01:44 PM12/29/05
Michael Press writes:

>>> Changing the Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
>>> preferable, in many cases.

>> When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

> I have changed a Subject header only to correct a misspelling.

And, as I mentioned, it was not a misspelling but rather a device used
by Charles Dickens that has made its way into literate circles for its
emphasis.

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1002.html

Jobst Brandt

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Dec 29, 2005, 10:11:12 PM12/29/05
Where's the hatrack writes:

>>> Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right
>>> on his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I
>>> think; the CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his
>>> .gnus config file and he is in business. There are some great
>>> e-mail client options as well.

>> Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can
>> read your mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses
>> back all without you even noticing?

> There are old UNIX users who are still searching for ways to make

> emacs do the work of existing tools that are widely available, well
> understood, stable, and often without cost to the user. I believe
> this may be due, in part, to a mania for one-true-tool-ism. It may
> also have some of the "if all you have is a hammer..." flavor about
> it, perhaps reinforced by "if your tool box will only hold a hammer,
> it can be hard to see the point of having a screwdriver." as well.

Oh, like reformatting these paragraphs that seem to come from other
newsreaders with the > >> >instead of >>>> and a mix of extremely long
and super short lines. I don't think MS Word or other newsreaders
handle that worth a damn, judging by the formats that appear here.

> OTOH, there are some elegant things that have been done with emacs
> over the years, and if it works, where's the point in replacing it?

It can't be any good if the critic doesn't use it. On the other hand
most users don't want to use the CTL and ESC keys to differentiate
command from text input.

Jobst Brandt

Mark Janeba

Dec 29, 2005, 10:19:30 PM12/29/05

Dickens posted on Usenet? I've used Google groups, but I didn't find
him. :-)

Mark

Werehatrack

Dec 29, 2005, 11:27:02 PM12/29/05
On 30 Dec 2005 03:11:12 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org wrote:

>Where's the hatrack writes:
>> There are old UNIX users who are still searching for ways to make
>> emacs do the work of existing tools that are widely available, well
>> understood, stable, and often without cost to the user. I believe
>> this may be due, in part, to a mania for one-true-tool-ism. It may
>> also have some of the "if all you have is a hammer..." flavor about
>> it, perhaps reinforced by "if your tool box will only hold a hammer,
>> it can be hard to see the point of having a screwdriver." as well.
>
>Oh, like reformatting these paragraphs that seem to come from other
>newsreaders with the > >> >instead of >>>> and a mix of extremely long
>and super short lines. I don't think MS Word or other newsreaders
>handle that worth a damn, judging by the formats that appear here.

Oh, bloody hell, yes. (Is there a plugin to use Word to read news?
haven't seen one, but I'm still using 97; after MS dropped the MDI, I
decided they'd lost their collective stolen copy of a hacked mind.)
I've had to hand-fix a paragraph now and then to make something
intelligible...but severe surgery is usually faster and just as
effective.

>> OTOH, there are some elegant things that have been done with emacs
>> over the years, and if it works, where's the point in replacing it?
>
>It can't be any good if the critic doesn't use it. On the other hand
>most users don't want to use the CTL and ESC keys to differentiate
>command from text input.

And few bother with keyboard commands in any event; anything that can
be done with a mouse is done *solely* with a mouse, even when the
keyboard would be far faster. I won't even get into the subject of
macros; it's generally fruitless to even bring it up.

Werehatrack

Dec 29, 2005, 11:28:58 PM12/29/05

It was before Deja started archiving.

Tim McNamara

Dec 30, 2005, 12:34:11 AM12/30/05
Werehatrack <rau...@earthWEEDSlink.net> writes:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:08:39 GMT, Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org>
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:55:39 -0600, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right
>>>on his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I
>>>think; the CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his
>>>.gnus config file and he is in business. There are some great
>>>e-mail client options as well.
>>
>>Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can
>>read your mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses
>>back all without you even noticing?

Jasper, I like having a text editor that can facilitate writing
HTML, XHTML, TeX, and read newwsgroups and my e-mail. I have one
basic set of keybindings plus some mode-specific ones to remember
across all those tasks. Makes work quicker and easier.

Send responses back without my noticing? Nah.

> There are old Unix users who are still searching for ways to make
> emacs do the work of existing tools that are widely available, well
> understood, stable, and often without cost to the user. I believe
> this may be due, in part, to a mania for one-true-tool-ism. It may
> also have some of the "if all you have is a hammer..." flavor about
> it, perhaps reinforced by "if your tool box will only hold a hammer,
> it can be hard to see the point of having a screwdriver." as well.

Hey, not so much of the old, thank you! ;-) Emacs is more of a
constantly upgradeable Swiss Army knife/Leatherman tool. It can
replace most of what's in the tool box.

> OTOH, there are some elegant things that have been done with emacs
> over the years, and if it works, where's the point in replacing it?

Or any other application. If it works for you, why replace it?

Tim McNamara

Dec 30, 2005, 12:42:05 AM12/30/05
"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> writes:

> "Tim McNamara" <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote in message
>> "Don" <dondi...@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> By now we expect everyone to notice the anonymous postings from Tom
>>> Kunich.
>>
>> I actually don't notice anonymous postings from Tom Kunich. I
>> don't need my attention drawn to them, either. IMHO his stuff is
>> not something I want to read.
>>
>> Many people seem to like to play Tom's game and give him attention and
>> reinforcement for his posts. The simple solution is to learn how to
>> use a killfile and to put Tom and all his alter egos into it. If you
>> need to spend all this energy on the guy, it's you who need to get a
>> clue and possibly a life as well. Ignore him, he'll go away. And fer
>> pete's sake stop spamming all the rec.bikes newsgroups with this crap!
>
> Dear Tim, it would be really interesting if you could inform me what
> my "alter egos" are. Why is it that you seem unaware of the various
> spoofs that are out there? Roger is presently being investigated by
> the FBI for his great work on the internet.
>
> But thanks for your intellectual pursuit of the truth.

You already posted this once, Tom.

Tom Keats

Dec 29, 2005, 8:19:36 PM12/29/05
In article <quu8r1tqhhh9hv3hq...@4ax.com>,

Not when it's Open Source Software. I'd be more leery of
[back-door goings-on in] certain proprietary applications.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

onrae...@excite.com

Jan 2, 2006, 11:40:54 AM1/2/06

From: "Tom Kunich" Subject: THIS IS MY HOUSE

All 7 messages in topic - view as tree
seenohearno
Feb 13 2005, 7:49 am show options

Newsgroups: soc.culture.afghanistan, rec.bicycles.racing, aus.bicycle,
rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.marketplace
From: "seenohearno" <seenohea...@excite.com> - Find messages by this
author
Date: 13 Feb 2005 07:49:06 -0800
Subject: From: "Tom Kunich" Subject: THIS IS MY HOUSE

From: "Tom Kunich" Subject: THIS IS MY HOUSE

From: "Tom Kunich" <cyclin...@yahoo.com> - Find messages by this author

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 05:20 GMT
Subject: Re: THIS IS MY HOUSE
original | Report Abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is my house.

From: <seenohea...@excite.com>
i don't think so little 2" DICK tommy boy

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=_a01rep_0Tr6mY3ewYV8S40LC0YCOhLt...

Owner Name: KUNICH MARY H
Mailing Addr: 3539 MONTEREY SAN LEANDRO CA 94578
Situs Addr: 3539 MONTEREY BL SAN LEANDRO CA 94578
Legal Description:
ASSESSMENT
Total Value: $31,522 Use Code: 110 Zoning:
Land Value: $3,727 Tax Rate Area: 10020
Impr Value: $7,795 Year Assd: 2004 Impr Type:
Other Value: Property Tax: Price/Sqft: $998.18
% Improved: 23% Delinquent Yr:
Exempt Amt.: $7,000 Exempt Codes: Y
SALE HISTORY Sale1 Sale2 Sale 3 Transfer
Recording Date: 11/21/1978 05/13/1975 04/25/2003
Recorded Doc: 78 227455 75 063356 03 244028
Rec. Doc Type:
Transfer Amount: $5,000
Seller (Grantor):
1st Trs Dd Amt: Code 1: 2nd Trs Dd Amt: Code 2:
PROPERTY CHARACTERISTICS
Lot Acres: 0.110 Year Built: 1955 Fireplace:
Lot SqFt: 3,940 Effective Yr: 1956 A/C:
Bldg/Liv Area: 1,153

> Thomas H Kunich is a free loader sec. 8 of the state of calif. ,
> drunk bumb - the house in lives in is not his- without a job
> sucking off the sate of calif. teat - every lying posting of
> yours demonstrates that you know what a worthless
> SHIT Thomas H Kunich you are and that, God forbid
> you will be living in a cardboard in the city and this
> will happen soon when i call the gov. of calif. an tell
> him to cut you off of sec. 8, sic, sid and wf.
>
> We all know by now tom you eat burgers but the burgers
> you eat come out of your nose.
>
> By all means continue your postings. Since you're so stupid,
> sooner or later you're going to step over the line or there will
> be some internet laws passed quietly that will end up putting
> you in an asylum where you belong.
>
> And since you've had multiple police reports filed against
> Thomas H Kunich OF San Leandro CA94578 you, if so
> much as a rock comes through my window you can expect
> to be taken into the police station for questioning.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_frm/thread/88e7689881a8ee4a/bed061726371580c?q=%22house%22++%22tom%22&rnum=1#bed061726371580c
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/search?group=rec.bicycles.racing&q=tom&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

Me

Jan 2, 2006, 4:01:25 PM1/2/06
Roger!! Your mommy is calling you!!

BOXMAN, ZBOXMAN, but really Roger Ladd Bratton. Roger is 46 and still lives
with his parents, Otey and Donnabelle Bratton at 1063 Fox Meadow Way in
Concord, CA 94518.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2661266C

Here's a nice aerial photo of the house http://tinyurl.com/j26i
http://www.thefreeimagehosting.com/Uploads/Images/8077603625000ZBOXMAN.jpg

Daddy owns the house, not Roger. It's assessed at $109K.

His other phone # is 510-685-4260 & 925-685-4260

He attended Mt. Diablo High School in Concord, CA from 1972 to 1976.

you can find him here at lunch/ dinner

http://tinyurl.com/27mk9

http://tinyurl.com/3b572

Roger sells boxes and assorted crap, but mainly he just wastes an
astonishing amount of time annoying people on the internet. I'm sure
mommy and daddy wish he would get a real job, move out, and start acting
like a 46 year old man instead of a 12 year old boy.

He's even had a Cease and Desist order against him. He won't learn. He
can't learn. Go by and say HI!!!

Concord Police Department

Police Community Action and Awareness - (925) 671-3237
Police Customer Service Desk - (925) 671-3220

On 1/2/06 8:40 AM, in article
1136220054.6...@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,

David Damerell

Jan 3, 2006, 8:55:28 AM1/3/06
Quoting <jobst....@stanfordalumni.org>:
>The following is what Tin thinks a thread is and Tin is a lot older
>than most newsreaders used by most participants in thei forum.

tin dates from 1991.

trn dates from mid-1990. The term "thread" for a grouping of articles
originates with trn, since it was the first threaded newsreader.

It is unfortunate that someone released a newsreader a year later that
didn't thread and called it "threaded internet news", yes.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Teleute, January.

David Damerell

Jan 3, 2006, 8:57:28 AM1/3/06
Quoting Michael Press <ja...@abc.net>:

>David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>No. What a "thread" is is not dependent on the observer's newsreader; it's
>>a property of the articles. That is the only way we can use the term
>>meaningfully.
>>That many popular newsreaders are broken is unfortunate, but really, it's
>>up to them to fix it.
>Do you know that most news readers cannot organize article
>headers according to the References headers? Which ones?

Note that I said "many" not "most", and I include in the set of broken
newsreaders those that understand References: lines but don't then display
the resulting threads as threads - for example, those implementations like
Google and tin's default behavior which then split the threads up by
subject.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Jan 7, 2006, 5:57:15 PM1/7/06
On 27 Dec 2005 03:50:36 GMT, jobst....@stanfordalumni.org said in
<43b0ba0c$0$58105$742e...@news.sonic.net>:

>I thought we had gotten over him, now that we have other contributors
>who are equally rude and obnoxious,

Delicious use of irony :-)

Guy
--